In a world where there is a brand-new amazing supplement introduced every 10 minutes, it’s easy to forget something as old school and boring as plain old Vitamin C. Linus Pauling had it right; Vitamin C is incredible at what it does, and it does so much:
- Strong anti-oxidant
- Immune System Support
- May help with blood pressure issues and heart disease risk factors
- Can help reduce blood Uric Acid levels and help keep Gout in check
- Improves Iron absorption
- Can help white blood cells function better
- Can have a protective effect on brain focus, thinking, and memory
- Studies have linked use of Vitamin C to be helpful in supporting Macular Degeneration
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that must be obtained from the diet or supplementation or both. Since it is does not stay in the body very long, Vitamin C supplementation should be spread out across the day.
Bowel tolerance is actually higher than most people think. It is not uncommon for someone during seasonal challenges to take 1000-2000mg 2, 3, or even 4 or more times a day. The key is to start low (500mg-1000mg) and gradually build up. If bowel discomfort or loose stool become a concern, simply pull back and lower the amount you are taking. Here is a fascinating and educational study on the subject matter of Vitamin C and Bowel Tolerance.