Chia seeds are packed with protein, fiber, antioxidants and calcium. Adding liquid gives the seeds a consistency similar to tapioca. Almond extract and fruit lend this meal a dessert-like flavor, without any added sugar.
• ½ cup chia seeds
• 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond or coconut milk
• ¾ teaspoon almond extract
• ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 5 pitted dates, finely chopped
• 1 cup sliced, fresh pineapple (or other fruit)
• ¼ cup toasted and chopped pecans
• ¼ cup toasted coconut flakes
1. In a medium bowl, whisk chia seeds with almond milk, extract, cinnamon and dates until incorporated. Cover, and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours. Stir well.
2. Spoon into bowls, and top with fruit, nuts and coconut. Chia pudding is best fresh but can be refrigerated for up to 3–4 days.