Struggling to get dinner on the table every night? Shortcuts are 100 percent acceptable! These burritos use frozen chicken nuggets for protein and kid-friendly flavor. Because all of the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time, you can assemble these on time-strapped evenings and have dinner on the table in under 20 minutes. That’s a win!
• 8 oz frozen chicken nuggets (TRY: Applegate Organic Chicken Nuggets)
• 6 (8-inch) whole-grain tortillas
• 1 cup baby spinach
• 1½ cups cooked brown rice
• 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
• ¼ teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
• ½ cup bottled salsa
• 1 -2 avocados, diced (optional)
• Toppings: Additional salsa, sour cream, fresh cilantro leaves
1. Prepare chicken nuggets according to package directions. Remove from oven; leave oven on. Chop nuggets into pieces.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat lightly with cooking spray. Have a small bowl of water ready.
3. Place a tortilla on a paper towel. Top with a few spinach leaves, ¼ cup rice, 1 /6 of the chicken nugget pieces, ¼ cup cheese, a little cumin and chili powder, and a spoonful of salsa down the center. Warm in the microwave for 15–30 seconds. If using, top with avocado.
4. Place warmed tortilla with toppings on a flat surface. Using your finger, lightly moisten entire tortilla edge with water. Fold in sides, then roll upward from the bottom edge. Re-moisten top edge if needed; roll over top edge to seal. Place, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
5. Repeat process with remaining tortillas and fillings. Place baking sheet with burritos in 200° oven to warm, 5–10 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
Recipe credit: Amy Palanjian
Photo credit: Jennifer Olson