Apple Crisp is an easy way to say “Hello” to autumn and to the arrival of local apples! Our DIY recipe template encourages you to express your own creativity and taste preferences as you choose YOUR favorite way to make apple crisp. You don’t need to measure; just estimate how much you need using the guidelines! This is a no fail recipe, great for everyone including kids and novice cooks.
THE INGREDIENT OPTIONS (choose your favorites)
APPLES: Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, King David, Sweetango, Gold Delicious
SWEETENERS: Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar, Coconut Sugar, Cane Sugar
SPICES: Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cardamom
FATS: Butter, Coconut Oil, Ghee, Vegan Buttery Sticks
FLOURS: Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, All Purpose Flour, Oats
CRISPY THINGS: Pecans, Walnuts, Slivered Almonds, Coconut (flakes or shredded)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Peel and slice or chop your favorite apples and place them in a mixing bowl
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and zest if desired
- Add your favorite sweetener to taste (remember that topping will be sweet too!)
- Season apples with a pinch of salt or vanilla if desired
- Add what spices you like, tasting as you go until it tastes amazing!
- Toss the apples until coated
- Grease a baking dish with your favorite fat, and then pile apples into baking dish. Note: this can be made in one big dish, or in individual sized ramekins.
Now to the fun part: make the crispy topping! There are 4 main components: Flours/Nuts/Fats/Sweeteners; You will choose the varieties in each category that you like to eat.
- Using a ratio of about 1:1:2 (Sugar:Fat:Flour), select your favorite ingredients and put them in a bowl. For example: ½ c coconut sugar, ½ cup cold butter, ¾ cup almond Flour and ¼ c coconut flour (= 1 C total flour). Add other additions like nuts, coconut, oats. Add spices if desired.
- Mix with your fingertips until it comes together in pasty clumps.
- Taste it and adjust for sweetness and texture. Adding more fat to help it stick together, or more dry ingredients if it seems too wet. Or adjusting the spices or adding a pinch of salt for flavor. Use your instincts! You got this!
- Drop the topping in clumps all over the top of the apples. If you feel you need more topping, just mix up a little bit more!
- Put dish into preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
- Eat warm or cold, by itself or with ice cream, yogurt, whipped cream or heavy cream poured on top!