These vegetarian muffins are perfect for making in advance for some quick morning meals!
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Generous pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chopped green onions or chives
- ½ cup minced red bell peppers
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt and pepper. Fold in remaining ingredients, except cheddar cheese, until evenly moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and top with cheddar cheese. Bake 15–20 minutes, until golden and tops spring back when pressed. Cool on a rack.