1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 package (16 oz. or 12 oz.) pasta of choice
1/2 piece of Moody Blue cheese (grated/crumbled)
1/2 piece of The Stag cheese (grated/shredded)
1 head Lacinato kale (finely “Chiffonade”)
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour or potato flour
Salt, pepper, olive oil
1 package fresh sage
1 package bacon, crisp (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil water and cook pasta.
- Roast squash with chopped sage, salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and leeks until fork tender.
- In sauce plan over medium/medium-low heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk until bubbly and browning (you made a roux, yeah!). Add milk to the pan, continuing to whisk. It should start to thicken. Add shredded cheeses, always whisking. *If it gets too thick, just add more milk.*
- Add kale and squash mixture to the pasta, and pour sauce over (it will wilt the kale).
- Add crispy bacon at the end, if desired.
This recipe is from the kitchen of Beth Donohoe, Harvest Market’s Cheesemonger.
Photo from: www.ohsheglows.com.