Be prepared for the sun that shines and the bugs that bite with these top picks from Harvest Market!
We make every effort to ensure our personal care items are safe and effective, so you don’t have to decide between protection for today and prevention for tomorrow. Whether you’re headed to the beach, the mountains or staying in your yard, don’t forget to bring these summer must-have’s with you!
- All Good – All Good’s exceptional collection of broad-spectrum mineral sunscreens are made from skin-loving ingredients. Their formulations are free-from nasty chemicals. Clean non-nano zinc oxide is the active ingredient — a tremendous topical mineral that doesn’t absorb into skin. They’ve also packed nourishing antioxidants like rosehip oil and green tea into all the mineral sunscreens to help repair and support your skin. All Good is 1% for the Planet, Leaping Bunny certified and reef friendly.
- Badger Balm – Badger has two simple categories to choose from: Active and Sport. And within each of these categories, they offer both non-nano zinc oxide and clear zinc oxide options. No matter the occasion, they’ve got you covered. Check out their new certified Protect Land + Sea sunscreen in a tin and squeeze tube. We suggest taking a look at Badger’s helpful guide on “How to Choose the Best Mineral Sunscreen” for guidance on which product is best for your needs and preferences.
- DermaE – Infused with antioxidants, botanical extracts and vitamins, the award-winning Sun Care collection provides powerful UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection. Formulated with eco-friendly Non-Nano mineral Zinc Oxide to help protect skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays.
After Sun Care
- Aloe Gelly by Lily Of The Desert – Aloe vera has been known as nature’s moisturizer for thousands of years, and Lily of the Desert’s 99% Aloe Vera Gelly instantly cools the skin while hydrating at least 3 epidermal layers. Whether it’s the sun or wind, Aloe is a great item to keep on hand for topical relief.
- After Sun Gel with Calendula by Attitude – The after-sun gel, recognized as Top After-sun by EWG, goes on smooth and helps to soothe irritated skin, relieving tightness and leaving it silky soft and hydrated after fun in the sun.
- Organic and Fair Trade Aloe Vera Gel by Badger – Cool, soothe and hydrate dry and sun-parched skin with certified organic and fair trade aloe vera juice (and little else). It’s as close as you can get to breaking a leaf off an aloe plant! With its amazing moisturizing benefits, it delivers that feeling of instant relief we remember from our childhood days at the beach.
- After Sun Balm by Badger – Badger’s all-natural and organic After Sun Balm is Packed with soothing Cocoa and Shea Butters, and makes a great addition to any sun care routine. Sun, wind, salt, and sand all take a toll on skin, and After Sun Balm helps to restore the balance. Lavender and Moroccan Blue Tansy oils contribute to the delightful tropical scent and have been shown to exhibit anti-inflammatory properties, helping to soothe, cool, and relieve your dry, tight skin after sun exposure.
- Calendula Cream by Boiron – The flowers of the Calendula officinalis plant (garden marigold) have been used topically for generations to heal skin irritations. As the active ingredient in Boiron Calendula Cream, the homeopathic preparation of Calendula promotes the healing of cuts, scrapes, chafing, and sunburn while the cream’s base soothes and moisturizes.*
Bug Repellent from Nantucket Spider
- Outdoor Incense Sticks – Nantucket Spider’s outdoor incense sticks are beautifully crafted and naturally scented using a secret blend of organic essential oils that have been cold-pressed and steam-distilled. The incense sticks use sawdust as the base, making it both easy to light and easy to extinguish. Each stick provides over ninety minutes of protection from insects. They can be easily extinguished and re-used at a future time! These incense sticks do not contain dyes, artificial perfumes, or harmful chemicals. All incense sticks are sourced using fair trade principles from India, they’re masters when it comes to incense!
- Canine Care – This natural bug repellent for dogs is specially formulated to exclude ‘citrusy’ oils that dogs dislike and clove oil which they shouldn’t ingest. Instead it contains thyme oil to repel fleas, and other oils such as geranium, rosemary, cedar, and peppermint – all effective repellents against pests including ticks. By the way, this bug spray is also okay to be used by horses and even people! As always, remember to always test on a patch of skin for sensitivity before use. Unfortunately, this spray can be highly unpleasant for cats.
- Bug Sprays – Nantucket Spider offers three different bug sprays; Original, Summer Camp and Extra Strength Tick.
- The Original insect repellent formula is natural, DEET-free, and contains a broad spectrum of organic essential oils in a higher concentration than most other leading brands; high enough to work extremely well but without an overpowering smell. A broad range of essential oils is important in a bug spray because different species of insects are primarily repelled by different essential oils. It is highly effective at repelling mosquitoes (98-100% effective in independent tests) and biting flies and also includes ingredients known to deter ticks.
- Summer Camp bug spray for kids is much like (and equally effective to) the original formula but it is made without Citronella, an ingredient to which many people have an aversion.
- The Extra Strength Tick Spray product is DEET-free and contains a carefully selected blend of organic essential oils known to deter ticks, plus natural vanillin to extend its effectiveness. This product repelled 92% of deer ticks in independent laboratory tests.
Bug Bite Care
- Calendula Gel by Boiron – Boiron Calendula Gel promotes the healing of skin irritations.* This homeopathic medicine made from marigolds is ideal for insect stings and bites, shaving nicks, razor burn, and brush burn.*
- Ledum palustre 30C by Boiron – Ledum palustre relieves swelling and itching of mosquito bites, especially when taken during times of exposure (dawn and dusk).*
- Histaminum 30C by Boiron – Histaminum relieves symptoms of allergies, such as hay fever, hives or a reaction to insect bites.*
- Cool Calm Press by Green Sprouts – Cold temperatures and ice can reduce inflammation.* The cold also numbs the skin, which can give you immediate but short-term relief. Always place a barrier between skin and the ice in short intervals.
- After Bug Bite Relief Stick by Badger – This gentle balm with soothing Colloidal Oatmeal and cooling Menthol relieves itchy bug bites and minor skin irritations.* Organic Beeswax, vitamin E-rich Sunflower oil and essential oils of Seabuckthorn and Lavender nourish and soften skin. Tamanu oil moisturizes and is naturally antioxidant rich.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.